Why Do Dogs Shed?

Best

Dogs naturally shed their loose and damaged hair. Although molting in dogs is a fairly normal process, the amount and timing of the fallen hair often depends on the type and health. However, moulting in dogs is also directly affected by the seasons; Many dogs develop a thick layer of feathers in the winter, and in spring they begin to shed it. Dogs kept inside the house always have fewer fluctuations in hair thickness, so they shed evenly throughout the year. You can also check out our hair and skin care article on dogs.

why do dog shed.jpg

What Causes My Dog's Excessive Hair Loss?

The molt described as "excessive" in some dogs is quite normal for some breeds; but the main causes of excessive hair removal include stress, a medical problem, or poor nutrition. Of course, when it comes to excessive molting, the person who can determine the cause most accurately is again your vet. It is possible to list these reasons as follows:

• Parasites (Tick, lice, fleas etc.)
  • Bacterial infections
  • Food-based allergies
  • Some medicines
  • Pregnancy or breastfeeding
  • Liver, kidney or thyroid disorders
  • Licking-related trauma
  • Cancer
  • Immune system disorders
  • sunburn
  • Contact with combustible substance
When to Take it to the Veterinarian?

If you encounter any of the following conditions, it is time to show your hair removal problem to a veterinarian.

• Skin redness and tenderness
  • Open wounds
  • Bald spots
  • Visibly thinning of the hair layer
  • Dry and easily plucked hairs
  • Itching
  • Continuous facial rubbing and paw licking

How Can I Minimize My Dog Shedding?

Although you do not have the opportunity to stop the normal hair loss of a healthy dog, you can minimize the amount of hair in your home by regularly combing your dog. Your vet will recommend a comb type suitable for your dog's breed, so you will be able to control the hair that spills around the house.